What is a Document Management System (DMS)?
Document Management software (DMS) offers “the basics” of managing technical documents and data. It helps companies manage and share information over disparate, global environments and helps improve efficiency and productivity by letting people find and use (or reuse) the right document and be assured that it’s the right version.
Having a document management system is a must in today’s global businesses and supply chains, particularly with the tremendous growth in the number of electronic documents.
According to www.aiim.org, “We can define document management as the software that controls and organizes documents throughout an organization. It incorporates document and content capture, workflow, document repositories, COLD/ERM, and output systems, and information retrieval systems. Also, the processes used to track, store and control documents.”
Synergis Adept document management helps you find, manage, share and control engineering, CAD and business documents throughout their lifecycle. Adept’s capabilities are extensive and address the needs of many different people throughout the organization.
Benefits of a Document Management System:
- A centralized repository of organized information
- Secure, accurate access to all electronic and paper documents, CAD drawings and models, and email correspondence
- Integration with multi-CAD and business applications, including AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, SOLIDWORKS, Microsoft Office and MicroStation
- Visualization, markup and compare of multiple file formats
- Secure Vaulting and Replication
- Version control
- Full text and Metadata / attribute search
- Check in / Check Out to prevent overwriting
- IP protection / security / access control (view, copy, print)
- History / audit trail
- Scalability from small to large organizations